Mark Fox Hires Assistant Coach Philip Pearson
Mark Fox has hired Philip Pearson as an assistant coach for the Georgia Bulldogs basketball staff. Pearson was formerly on the staff of Mark Gottfried at Alabama. New Crimson Tide head coach Anthony Grant decided not retain Pearson.
After Mark Gottfried was fired in late January, Philip Pearson served as the interim head coach for the remainder of the season. Pearson finished 6-7 as the head coach, including wins over Georgia, Mississippi State and Arkansas at home and Ole Miss and Tennessee on the road. In the 2009 SEC Tournament, Pearson and Alabama beat Vanderbilt in the 1st round and lost to Tennessee in the 2nd round.
Pearson is regarded as a great coach and recruiter. He coached at Alabama, his alma mater, for 11 years. During that time, Pearson and the Tide were able to sign several outstanding basketball recruits. This is a great hire for Mark Fox and the Hoop Dawgs.
- UGA Assistant Basketball Coach Rumblings – Georgia Sports Blog
- Fox Tabs Two Assistants – UGASports.com
- Philip Pearson Biography – RollTide.com
- Fox Adds Pearson to new UGA Basketball Staff – AJC.com
- Fox Adds Veteran Assistants – OnlineAthens.com