The Detroit Lions, coming off of the first 0-16 season in NFL history, selected Matthew Stafford with the no. 1 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Stafford was a 3-year starter at Georgia and finished his career with 7,731 yards, 51 touchdown passes and 564 completions.
With Stafford behind center, the Bulldogs posted a 27-7 record and won three straight bowl games. In his Junior season, Stafford threw for 3,459 yards and a school-record 25 ?touchdowns with only 10 interceptions.
By the time the 2009 NFL Draft was over, a total of six Georgia Bulldogs were selected. Listed below are the Dawgs that were picked:
- Matthew Stafford (QB) – 1st Round, 1st overall pick; Detroit Lions
- Knowshon Moreno (TB) – 1st Round, 12th overall pick; Denver Broncos
- Mohamed Massaquoi (WR) – 2nd Round, 50th overall pick; Cleveland Browns
- Asher Allen (CB) – 3rd Round, 86th overall pick; Minnesota Vikings
- Corey Irvin (DT) – 3rd Round, 93rd overall pick; Carolina Panthers
- Jarius Wynn (DE) – 6th Round, 182nd overall pick; Green Bay Packers
- Lions Take Stafford Number One In NFL Draft – GeorgiaDogs.com
- Broncos Take Moreno With 12th Pick – GeorgiaDogs.com
- Total Of Six Georgia Players Chosen In Annual NFL Draft – GeorgiaDogs.com