Georgia led Kentucky at halftime and as late as 8:05 remaining in the game, but couldn’t hold the lead and fell to the 3rd ranked Kentucky Wildcats 76-68. The Bulldogs are now 8-6 overall and 0-1 in the SEC.
Travis Leslie led the Hoop Dawgs with 20 points and 6 rebounds. Early in the game, Leslie had a thunderous dunk over DeMarcus Cousins.
Trey Thompkins added 17 points and 13 rebounds, but he was only 5-of-15 from the floor.
Mark Fox’s Bulldogs played well enough to win on the road, but too many turnovers (26) was there ultimate undoing. The Dawgs trailed by 2 with under 2 minutes remaining, but made several errors protecting the ball.
Georgia returns to Athens to face the 16th ranked Ole Miss Rebels (12-3, 0-1 SEC) on Wednesday. The game will be televised by the SEC Network at 8:00 p.m. ET.
- 2009-10 Georgia Bulldogs Basketball Schedule – Sicemdawgs.com
- Georgia-Kentucky Box Score – ESPN.com
- Bulldogs Edges By Wildcats in SEC Opener 76-68 – GeorgiaDogs.com
- Georgia Plays Kentucky to the Wire – AJC.com
- Dawgs Run With Cats But Come Up Short – UGASports.com