On Saturday, the no. 3 Georgia Bulldogs take on the no. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2012 SEC Championship Game at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The game will be televised by CBS at 4 p.m. ET.
The game is officially sold out, but tickets are available through our vendor TicketNetwork.com.
Georgia will be the home team and will likely wear their traditional red jerseys. Alabama is designated as the visiting team and will likely wear their white jerseys.
The Bulldogs have appeared in the SEC Championship Game four times and have a 2-2 record. They beat Arkansas 30-3 in 2002, lost to LSU 34-13 in 2003, beat LSU 34-14 in 2005, and lost to LSU 42-10 in 2011.
Alabama has appeared in the game seven times and owns a 3-4 record. In each contest, the Crimson Tide were matched up against the Florida Gators.
The Crimson Tide lead the overall series against the Bulldogs 36-25-4. In their last meeting in 2008, Alabama beat Georgia 41-30 in Athens.
Georgia will head into the game ranked 3rd in all of the polls. Alabama is second in each poll behind only top-ranked Notre Dame.
ESPN College Gameday will broadcast live from the site of the game beginning at 9 a.m. ET on ESPNU and then continuing on ESPN from 10 a.m. until noon.
The winner of the SEC Championship Game will more than likely finish 2nd in the final BCS rankings and move on to face Notre Dame in the 2013 Discover BCS National Championship Game on Monday, Jan. 7 (Tickets).
Inside the numbers:
- Georgia is 25-36-4 against Alabama.
- Mark Richt is 3-1 against Alabama.
- Mark Richt is 2-3 against Nick Saban.
- Georgia is ranked 24th in Total Offense with 463.67 yards per game.
- Alabama is ranked 43rd in Total Offense with 433.00 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 17th in Scoring Offense with 38.00 points per game.
- Alabama is ranked 15th in Scoring Offense with 39.00 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 22nd in Total Defense with 337.83 yards per game.
- Alabama is ranked 1st in Total Defense with 233.67 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 16th in Scoring Defense with 17.67 points per game.
- Alabama is ranked 1st in Scoring Defense with 9.25 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 19th in Turnover Margin (+9 ratio).
- Alabama is ranked 9th in Turnover Margin (+14 ratio).
- Georgia is ranked 89th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (82 for 609 yards).
- Alabama is ranked 7th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (48 for 412 yards).