On Saturday, the #5 Georgia Bulldogs (8-1, 6-1 SEC) travel to face the Auburn Tigers (2-7, 0-6 SEC). The game will be televised by ESPN2 at 7 p.m. ET.
A win over Auburn would clinch the SEC Eastern Division title for Georgia and secure a trip to Atlanta for the Championship Game. It would also give the Bulldogs their second straight win over the Tigers and even the overall series at 54-54-8.
Last season in Athens, Georgia destroyed Auburn 45-7, exacting a bit of revenge after losing at Auburn 49-31 in 2010. The win was so sweet that it produced the following video:
Auburn finally notched their second win of the season last week over hapless New Mexico State. Prior to that victory, the Tigers had lost five straight SEC contests.
On paper, Georgia should win this one going away. The Dawgs are ranked 23rd in the country in Total Offense and 33rd in Total Defense. Meanwhile, Auburn ranks near the bottom in both categories, 113th in Total Offense and 85th in Total Defense.
It also bears mentioning that Auburn has two former Georgia defensive coordinators on staff: Defensive Coordinator Brian Van Gorder and Secondary Coach Willie Martinez.
Hopefully Georgia carries their focus and intensity from the Florida and Ole Miss games into the Auburn game Saturday night. A win their and a potential matchup against top-ranked Alabama looms on the horizon.
Georgia at Auburn
- Date: Nov. 10, 2012, 7 p.m. ET
- TV: ESPN2
- Broadcast: Mark Jones (play-by-play), Brock Huard (analyst), Allison Williams (reporter)
Inside the numbers
- Georgia is 53-54-8 against Auburn.
- Mark Richt is 7-4 against Auburn.
- Georgia is ranked 23rd in Total Offense with 468.22 yards per game.
Auburn is 113th (305.22 yards per game).
- Georgia is ranked 24th (tie) in Scoring Offense with 36.78 points per game.
Auburn is 109th (19.22 points per game).
- Georgia is ranked 33rd in Total Defense with 341.33 yards per game.
Auburn is 85th (428.67 yards per game).
- Georgia is ranked 25th in Scoring Defense with 20.89 points per game.
Auburn is 62nd (27.33 points per game).
- Georgia is ranked 37th in Turnover Margin (+4 ratio).
Auburn is 106th (-9 ration).
- Georgia is ranked 100th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (69 for 514 yards).
Auburn is 52nd (53 for 415 yards).
- Gameday Central – GeorgiaDogs.com
- 2012 Georgia Football Schedule – Sicemdawgs.com
- 2012 Auburn Football Schedule – FBSchedules.com