It’s almost game time! 3rd-ranked Georgia will take on 2nd-ranked Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship Game this Saturday at the Georgia Dome. The game will be televised by CBS at 4 p.m. ET.
The game is officially sold out, but tickets are available through our vendor TicketNetwork.com. Prices for the game are slowly falling, with the cheapest ticket currently at $258. Last week, the lowest prices was over $350.
The stakes couldn’t be higher in this game. Not only does the winner win the 2012 SEC Championship, but they will also finish 2nd in the BCS standings which places them in the 2013 BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7 against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Tickets).
Georgia will be the home team and will likely wear their traditional red jerseys. Alabama is designated as the visiting team and will likely wear their white jerseys.
The Bulldogs have appeared in the SEC Championship Game four times and have a 2-2 record. They beat Arkansas 30-3 in 2002, lost to LSU 34-13 in 2003, beat LSU 34-14 in 2005, and lost to LSU 42-10 in 2011.
Alabama has appeared in the game seven times and owns a 3-4 record. Saturday’s game against Georgia will be the first time the Tide has faced a team other than the Florida Gators in the championship game.
The Crimson Tide lead the overall series against the Bulldogs 36-25-4. In their last meeting in 2008, Alabama beat Georgia 41-30 in Athens.
ESPN College Gameday will broadcast live from Centennial Olympic Park beginning at 9 a.m. ET on ESPNU and then continuing on ESPN from 10 a.m. until noon.
Inside the numbers:
- Georgia is 25-36-4 against Alabama.
- Mark Richt is 3-1 against Alabama.
- Mark Richt is 2-3 against Nick Saban.
- Georgia is ranked 24th in Total Offense with 463.67 yards per game.
- Alabama is ranked 43rd in Total Offense with 433.00 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 17th in Scoring Offense with 38.00 points per game.
- Alabama is ranked 15th in Scoring Offense with 39.00 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 22nd in Total Defense with 337.83 yards per game.
- Alabama is ranked 1st in Total Defense with 233.67 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 16th in Scoring Defense with 17.67 points per game.
- Alabama is ranked 1st in Scoring Defense with 9.25 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 19th in Turnover Margin (+9 ratio).
- Alabama is ranked 9th in Turnover Margin (+14 ratio).
- Georgia is ranked 89th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (82 for 609 yards).
- Alabama is ranked 7th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (48 for 412 yards).