Gametime 2013 – No. 6 Georgia at Tennessee
On Saturday, the 6th-ranked Georgia Bulldogs travel to face the Tennessee Volunteers at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. The game will be televised by CBS at 3:30 p.m. ET.
Georgia enters the game 3-1 and 2-0 in the SEC after a thrilling 44-41 victory over then No. 6 LSU. After the win, the Dawgs moved up three spots in the AP Poll and four spots in the Coaches Poll to sixth in each.
Tennessee (3-2, 0-1) escaped South Alabama last week 31-24. Before that, the Volunteers were thrashed at Oregon 59-14 and lost an ugly game at Florida 31-17. The Vols are led by new head coach Butch Jones after Derek Dooley was fired last year.
The Volunteers will wear their new “Smokey Gray” alternate uniforms for the Georgia game.
On paper, Georgia should win this one going away. However, the Bulldogs are only about a 10-point favorite.
Why? First, Georgia might be prime for a let down after their big win last week vs. LSU. Second, running back Todd Gurley sprained his ankle on Saturday and is questionable for the game. Safety Tray Matthews is also doubtful.
Georgia also has a recent history of not playing very well in Knoxville. The Dawgs were favored very well in 2011, but only came away with a 20-12 victory. In the 2007 and 2009 contests, the Bulldogs didn’t show up at all, losing 35-14 and 45-19.
But with Senior quarterback Aaron Murray leading the team and a more focused Mark Richt and coaching staff, Georgia shouldn’t sleepwalk their way through Saturday’s game. The Dawgs know what’s at stake here and the rest of the regular season.
Take care of business and play in the SEC Championship again, possibly with another shot at Alabama, and then claim a spot in the BCS National Championship Game in Pasadena.
#6 Georgia at Tennessee
- Date: Oct. 5, 2013, 3:30 p.m. ET
- TV: CBS
- Broadcast: Verne Lundquist (play-by-play), Gary Danielson (analyst), Tracy Wolfson (reporter)
Inside the numbers
- Tennessee leads the overall series against Georgia 21-19-2.
- Georgia has won 3 straight over Tennessee and 4 of the last 5.
- Mark Richt is 8-4 against Tennessee.
- Georgia is ranked 6th in Total Offense with 554.0 yards per game.
Tennessee is 93rd with 369.4 ypg.
- Georgia is ranked 21st (tie) in Scoring Offense with 41.3 points per game.
Tennessee is 59th with 31.8 ppg.
- Georgia is ranked 69th in Total Defense with 403.8 yards per game.
Tennessee is 78th with 413.0 ypg.
- Georgia is ranked 93rd (tie) in Scoring Defense with 32.5 points per game.
Tennessee is 74th with 26.8 ppg.
- Georgia is ranked 84th (tie) in Turnover Margin (-1 ratio).
Tennessee is 41st (tie) (+3 ratio).
- Georgia is ranked 70th (tie) in Fewest Penalties Per Game (6.25 per game).
Tennessee is 8th (tie) with 3.4 per game.
- Gameday Central – GeorgiaDogs.com
- 2013 Georgia Football Schedule – Sicemdawgs.com
- 2013 Tennessee Football Schedule – FBSchedules.com