UGA Football

ESPN Names Todd Gurley Memorabilia Dealer

Todd Gurley

ESPN has identified and named the memorabilia dealer in the Todd Gurley investigation as Bryan Allen of Villa Rica, Georgia.

Atlanta attorney Ed Garland has been hired by Bryan Allen, and Garland confirmed that to ESPN.

“I do represent Bryan Allen,” Garland said. “He’s not going to be making any statements. Really, I have nothing else to say.”

Todd Gurley was suspended indefinitely by UGA on Thursday after allegations arose that he signed items for memorabilia dealers in return for payment.

The amount of money Gurley received is speculated to be anywhere from $400 to over $10,000. NCAA rules stipulate that Gurley would face a potential one-game suspension if he accepted improper benefits ranging from $100 to $400. The penalty would increase to two games for benefits from $400 to $700, and to four games for amounts greater than $700.

ESPN also reported that they received the same email from Bryan Allen that SBNation received on Sept. 30. Here is more info on that from ESPN:

On Sept. 30, Allen, whose last known address was in Villa Rica, Georgia, sent an email to ESPN and several other media outlets, in which he claimed to possess “video of Todd Gurley doing a private autograph signing from last [March].”

Allen included his name in the email and a cell phone number that was recently issued to him.

“He has been paid thousands of dollars for his stuff over the last 18 months,” Allen wrote in the email. “I personally paid him for the signing on the video. I have bought and sold game used equipment from him.”

In the email, Allen claimed he didn’t want to be compensated for releasing the video or photos of Gurley signing memorabilia. A photo Allen attached to the Sept. 30 email shows an African-American male, who closely resembles Gurley, signing a mini UGA helmet inside a car. The man is shown autographing the helmet with his left hand; Gurley is left-handed.

Allen wrote in the email that he recently sold the mini helmet on his eBay store and that the video didn’t “show the money exchange.”

“All I ask for is privacy,” Allen wrote. “I live [in] Georgia and would be crucified if my name was released.”

Attempts to reach Allen on Friday were unsuccessful. A woman who answered the phone at one of his last known addresses said he no longer lived there, but would get a message to him. A couple of hours later, a man called an ESPN.com reporter’s phone from a blocked telephone number advised the reporter to contact Garland.

A source familiar with the investigation confirmed that Allen once owned a sports memorabilia store near Rome, Georgia, which closed within the last year.

UPDATE

Bryan Allen used to own a memorabilia store in Rome, Georgia called “Players.”

Also, BassinDawg on Twitter discovered a video of him on YouTube:

41 Comments

41 Comments

1. coweta1991

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:41 pm

And there’s a man who needs to move far away from the SEC

• 2jazzyj

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:48 pm

You said it!

2. Tulita Owen

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:44 pm

It is utterly amazing that everything seems to ‘hit the fan’ when a player is considered for a Heisman trophy or some other award! If the folks that seem to pick their timing just so were to come forward immediately, it would be one thing. But no, they must wait until the player has some notoriety before they begin baying like hounds. They lose most of their credibility with their timing. How long has Bryan Allen been playing this game and why, oh why, did he decide to video the alleged transaction?

If Gurley has violated NCAA rules, then the NCAA should do whatever it decides appropriate. However, I think that anyone who raises the alarm well after the fact should have some consequences as well.

Thank you for publishing Mr. Allen’s name. One doesn’t need to harass the man; one doesn’t need to buy from him, either!

3. James

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:48 pm

It’s not true that could have been me with the dreads signing stuff he just trying to get paid

4. JOE

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm

What a rat he sells the stuff and then rats the kid out this guy is a real POS!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. william dollar

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:05 pm

he need to be put out of business and brought up on the square at uga and let people see what a scumbag really looks like. scumbag piece of dog crap

6. Linda

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Bet you want catch him at another UGA game!!!!!!

7. DONNA SENTZ

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:21 pm

What a lowdown piece of crap you are. You vultures prey on college athletes that 100% of their time is spent with school, practice, games, etc. There is no time to work, so unless they come from well to do families, they don’t have much money. For what reason other than personal gain would you want to harm such a great athlete and team. Was your memorabilia not making you enough money? Did you need some free publicity? You are a POS!

• Sherry

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Sherry Massey Well stated, go girl!!!!!!

8. Faye Busenleher

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Very interesting that Mr. Allen has already hired an attorney

9. James Radcliffe

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Why would Allen do that to Gurley? He already had what he wanted. Oh wait, he graduated from the University of Florida.

Find him.

10. John

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:32 pm

That’s a low rent piece of shit. Then he runs to a lawyer. What good is a lawyer going to do you? Piece of shit. Sounds like you tried to black mail TG? The video, etc. You wanted or had something to hold over his head. Yeah, you’re not a GA fan anymore, actually there’s not a sport base out there that would want you as a fan. I mean seriously dude. Why in the hell would you do something like this? All I can say is “Run Forrest Run, and keep running”. You are now a “Not Wanted Man” Theres just more to this. You’re still a low life POS!!!

• Sherry

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I think so too! Todd Gurley is a fine young man and this is a disgrace. My pray is he weathers the storm and may God bless him.

11. Cameron

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:46 pm

How do we know he is a UF grad?

12. DL

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm

What a blood sucker

13. Dorris Burnsed

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I think it is so sad that our country has come down to this. Bottom feeders looking for an easy way to make money and not caring whose life they ruin. It could be all done with the hope of making money off the publicity. Too bad, Mr. Allen, many of us do not want your kind around sports and their players. Find another way to make money or better yet, leave the United States and find a place where this type of behavior is condoned.

14. Kai Smith

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Not against the rules to sign a helmet. Where’s the proof that he was paid?

15. MTN

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I think he needs to hire a bodyguard…..NOT an attorney! This is ridiculous…..I dont believe Gurley got paid for ANYTHING! And what an idiot to think hid name wouldn’t be released!

16. Bryan

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I have been in his store in Rome and purchased WVU stuff. Even though I am not a GA fan, I am disgusted by hs actions and urge people to never buy another thing from this man. He needs to dig ditches for the rest of his life.

17. 2jazzyj

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:53 pm

A zip code change is due!! You are a target now!

18. treyzguy

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:55 pm

What a POS! Throwin’ ol’ kid under the bus! If it’s him in the video and he’s guilty of the rules infraction, then yes, he deserves the penalty. But what you did, is just bull crap! What’s your angle, dude? You’re up to something. I would look and see if this Allen dude has any bets on upcoming GA games, next 2 or 3 say…. He did it for a reason
    Someone will figure it out. Gurley seems too smart to let a video be made.

19. John

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Hey Allen, apparently ESPN thinks you’re a POS too!

20. dkimbal8

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Why was he videoing it to begin with is the real question for me….I have been to games and tried to get autographs before but would never think to video it unless I was looking for a payday out of it later and also hes had this since March and is just coming out with it? Sounds like he had a plan to blackmail Todd and when Todd wouldnt go along with it he decided to make a dollar the only other way he could off of TG…Sounds like he may have needed money anyway if his store in Rome had closed, but of course the educated people who are investigating this alleged infraction dont have the common sense to put this all together they punish first and then decide if it was deserved…Hope this guy never sees a penny from this and loses anything he may have now…GO DAWGS and #3 stay positive Ga fans still love you!!!

21. Micheal

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I have a feeling someone will be getting a hold of this guy and it wont be pretty!

22. Sherry

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:39 pm

This post is to Todd: As a UGA fan my husband and I have followed your career and have met with you at FCA functions. We were and still are impressed with you personally as not only a player but as a man. We will be praying for you, look to Jesus as your protector and my God get the glory from this horrible accusation. Please don’t forget that Jesus loves you.

23. jerry

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:09 pm

@#!$ the ncaa this guy needs his ass beat cakling himself a georgin the doing that

24. lemondrop87

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Todd just hold your head high and do not let all this get you down, as my mom used to tell me! ‘It Will All Come Clean On Washday. Just keep the Faith and keep practicing for I firmly believe the NCAA is not going to find enough on you to keep you from pursuing your dreams.. God bless you and keep you safe and healthy.

• Sherry

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Lemondrop87, I could not have said it any better!

25. Lori

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I’m sick of this whole issue! It’s time to let players benefit from their own successes. I’ve thought all along that whoever the POS was, he/she had something to gain. Bryan Allen needs to be banned from the state. Move back to Florida if you’re such a fan!

26. slee

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:19 pm

What happened to innocent until proven guilty. It makes me sad that UGA feels the need to just suspend Gurley while they “investigate”. How about you let the kid play while you’re out trying to dig up all this nonsense!! Can’t wait to hear what kind of karma this Allen a$$hole gets!!!!! Better watch your back Allen cause someone’s gonna get ya!!! #loveUGA #gurleygirl. Hi

27. greg

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Needs his butt kicked really bad.

28. Looks like

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:41 pm

He has a very punchable face.

29. Sharkman

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:24 am

Do not ever cross my path mister!

30. Parker Garrett

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

I am a Clemson fan who watched Gurley single handedly whip us the first game of the season. I am not a Gurley fan, but this guy Bryan Allen is a disgusting human being. I hope he gets everything he deserves with the Georgia state law that you can not intentionally bait and harm a student athlete. On top of that I sincerely hope he is beaten to a bloody pulp and is chastised the rest of his life as the modern day Benedict Arnold. This may be the most lowdown dirty scoundrel I have ever witnessed. He is the kind of person you would not want to be seen associating with. I am certain his business failed because he is very unlikable. He also has to be a total moron to think he can ever walk in public anywhere in the south. His best bet is to move to Afgahnistan. I am sorry, the Afgan people are a step above this guy. They don’t deserve that type of trash in their country. May Bryan Allen become the modern day name for Benedict Arnold. Georgia fans should refer to dishonest acts as Bryan Allen’s. If your kid lies or cheats tell him, “don’t be a Bryan Allen”.

• Sherry

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Way to go Parker!! Using Bryan Allen as the new Benedict Arnold is a brilliant idea!! Let’s adopt it ;D

31. Robyn

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:53 am

What a joke….. Really he’s hired and attorney? WHY? I stand 100% with Todd Gurley….

32. mark

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Maybe this turd should hire a body guard instead of an attorney.

33. Shallyn

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Georgia has made so much money on Gurley. With ticket sales tuition and all other monies they receive for having a heisman player on their team and being nationally ranked. When will the players be compensated for all their hard work a free education is a drop in the bucket when the school makes millions off the talent of these kids. What do you expect them to do. They cant even accept a meal without getting in trouble. It’s ridiculous to me.

• lemondrop87

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:35 am

Shallyn; Maybe some day soon, when Jim Bo Fisher gets through speaking his mind, I think he belives in getting in their faces and not let them run over him. Don’t think Ritch has his gut to tell them what he thinks about what they are doing to our kids. But after all IF THEY ARE GUILTY!! THEN!! They Should Be Chastized Someway!!

34. Tony

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Johnny football still played and even did the money sign during games, Winston still played while being investigated for rape… What the hell!!!

35. Chuck Hobbs

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I don’t know if he attended UF but he is definitey a Gator fan. This link will show you just what his opinion of UGA and Dawg fans is.