Gametime 2010 – Georgia at Auburn
On Saturday, the Georgia Bulldogs travel to face the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game will be televised by CBS at 3:30 p.m. ET.
The Auburn Tigers (10-0, 6-0 SEC) are ranked second in all of the polls and have a shot at playing in the BCS National Championship Game. However, everyone’s attention is currently centered on Cam Newton and his recruitment. ESPN reports that Newton’s father shopped him to Mississippi State for $100,000 to $180,000.
Georgia (5-5, 3-4 SEC) has been eliminated from SEC East contention and is now playing for bowl eligibility. The Dawgs need to get to 6 wins, but 7 would provide them with slightly more attractive bowl options.
Possible bowl destinations include the Music City Bowl (12/30 vs. ACC), the Liberty Bowl (12/31 vs. C-USA) and the Birmingham Bowl (01/08 vs. Big East). The Independence Bowl in Shreveport, Louisiana is no longer affiliated with the SEC. Their matchup now features the ACC against the Mountain West.
Saturday’s game will mark the 144th meeting between Georgia and Auburn in the “Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.” The Tigers lead the series 53-52-8.
Inside the numbers:
- Georgia has won 4 straight over Auburn.
- Mark Richt is 6-3 against Auburn.
- Since 2001, UGA has averaged 25.9 points per game against AU.
- Since 2001, UGA’s defense has given up 19.9 points per game against AU.
- Average points scored in wins over AU under Richt: 30.0
- Average points scored in losses to AU under Richt: 17.7
- Georgia is 54th in total offense, Auburn is 89th.
- Georgia is 15th in total defense, Auburn is 52nd.
- Georgia is 23rd in fewest penalties per game, Auburn is 64th.
- Georgia is 22nd (+7) in turnover margin, Auburn is 38th (+42).
- Gameday Central – GeorgiaDogs.com
- 2010 Georgia Bulldogs Football Schedule – Sicemdawgs.com
- 2010 Auburn Tigers Football Schedule – FBSchedules.com