Gametime 2011 – Georgia at Tennessee
On Saturday, the Georgia Bulldogs (3-2, 2-1 SEC) head to Knoxville to take on the Tennessee Volunteers (3-1, 0-1 SEC). The game will be televised by ESPN2 and ESPN3.com at 7:00 p.m. ET.
Georgia’s last two trips to Knoxville were disastrous. The Dawgs unpreparedness and lackluster play resulted in a 35-14 beating in 2007 and a 45-19 drubbing in 2009.
The Dawgs did return the favor last season in Athens, beating the Vols 41-14 in head coach Derek Dooley’s first season at UT.
Tennessee opened 2011 with a 42-16 win over Montana and a 45-23 win over Cincinnati, both at home. The Vols then lost at Florida 33-23 in their only SEC game of the season so far. Last week, Tennessee bombed Buffalo 41-10 in Knoxville.
Georgia is coming off two straight SEC wins, 27-13 at Ole Miss and 24-10 vs. Mississippi State at home. A win Saturday and the following weekend at Vanderbilt would put the Dawgs at 5-2 overall and 4-1 heading to Jacksonville to face Florida.
Georgia and Tennessee first met in Knoxville in 1899. The two schools have met 40 times in a series that has been closely contested. The Vols lead the overall series 21-17-2.
Inside the numbers:
- Georgia is 17-21-2 against Tennessee.
- Mark Richt is 6-4 against Tennessee.
- Mark Richt is 1-0 against Derek Dooley.
- Georgia is ranked 57th (tie) in Total Offense with 413.8 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 35th in Scoring Offense with 34.6 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 7th (tie) in Total Defense with 258.6 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 32nd in Scoring Defense with 20.6 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 41st (tie) in Turnover Margin (+2 ratio).
- Georgia is ranked 48th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (29 for 224 yards).
- Gameday Central – GeorgiaDogs.com
- 2011 Georgia Football Schedule – Sicemdawgs.com
- 2011 Tennessee Football Schedule – FBSchedules.com