Gametime 2013 – Georgia vs. Nebraska, Capital One Bowl
The Georgia Bulldogs are set to take on the Nebraska Cornhuskers on New Year’s Day in the 2013 Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Florida. The game will be televised nationally by ABC at 1 p.m. ET.
Georgia has played Nebraska once in their history, falling to the Cornhuskers 45-6 in the 1969 Sun Bowl in El Paso.
Georgia will be making their 48th bowl appearance and 3rd in the Capital One Bowl. The Dawgs also played in the Orlando bowl game when it was titled the Tangerine Bowl, Citrus Bowl, and Florida Citrus Bowl. Overall, Georgia is 3-1-1 in the Orlando bowl game.
The Bulldogs currently have a 26-18-3 record in bowls. This will be the Bulldogs’ 12th straight bowl appearance under Mark Richt and 16th consecutive overall. However, Georgia is currently riding a two-game losing streak after falling 10-6 to UCF in the 2010 Liberty Bowl and 33-30 to Michigan State in the 2012 Outback Bowl.
UGA (#7 BCS) finished the 2012 season 11-2 overall and won the SEC Eastern Division. Nebraska (#16 BCS) also finished 11-2 overall and won the Big Ten Legends Division.
Georgia is coming off of an excruciating 32-28 loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game, while Nebraska was blown out 70-31 by Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game.
On paper, and based on recent results, Georgia should win this game going away. But the Bulldogs have a tendency of playing lackluster in bowl games as of late, so it could be a tight game until the third quarter. And the Cornhuskers are actually pretty close to the Bulldogs statistically.
Our prediction: Georgia 37, Nebraska 24
Georgia vs. Nebraska
- Date: Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013, 1:00 p.m. ET
- TV: ABC (HD)
- Broadcast: Rece Davis (play-by-play), Jesse Palmer (analyst), David Pollack (analyst), Samantha Steele (reporter)
Inside the numbers
- Georgia is 0-1 against Nebraska.
- Georgia is ranked 27th in Total Offense with 458.31 yards per game.
- Nebraska is ranked 25th in Total Offense with 462.15 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 20th in Scoring Offense with 37.23 points per game.
- Nebraska is ranked 27th in Scoring Offense with 35.08 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 28th in Total Defense with 351.23 yards per game.
- Nebraska is ranked 23rd in Total Defense with 343.08 yards per game.
- Georgia is ranked 17th in Scoring Defense with 18.77 points per game.
- Nebraska is ranked 56th in Scoring Defense with 26.23 points per game.
- Georgia is ranked 19th in Turnover Margin (+10 ratio).
- Nebraska is ranked 105th in Turnover Margin (-11 ratio).
- Georgia is ranked 93rd in Fewest Penalties Per Game (89 for 673 yards).
- Nebraska is ranked 70th in Fewest Penalties Per Game (80 for 778 yards).