Rodrigo Blankenship named a semifinalist for the 2019 Wuerffel Trophy
UGA senior kicker Rodrigo Blankenship has been named a semifinalist for the 2019 Wuerffel Trophy, the Chick-fil-A Foundation announced on Tuesday.
The Wuerffel Trophy, named after former Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel, is presented by the Chick-fil-A Foundation to the college football player who “best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement.”
“Once again this year demonstrates how many first-class young men are out there doing tremendous work in their communities,” said Danny Wuerffel. “It was an extremely difficult job that we had narrowing the list down to only nine semifinalists. These men represent the best of the best.”
Below are the nine semifinalists for this year’s trophy:
- Derrick Brown, Auburn University, senior, defensive line
- Koby Quansah, Duke University, senior, linebacker
- Blake Ferguson, Louisiana State University, senior, long snapper
- Braden Mann, Texas A&M University, senior, punter
- Isaiah Sanders, United States Air Force Academy, senior, quarterback
- Rodrigo Blankenship, University of Georgia, senior, kicker
- Teton Saltes, University of New Mexico, junior, offensive line
- Sam Ehlinger, University of Texas, junior, quarterback
- Jon Wassink, Western Michigan University, senior, quarterback
Finalists for the 2019 Wuerffel Trophy will be announced on Monday, November 18. The winner will be announced on Tuesday, December 10 at the National Football Foundation’s festivities in New York City.
Blankenship, who hails from Marietta, Georgia, has connected on 15-of-17 field goal attempts this season (88.2%). He has also made all 31 of his extra-point attempts and is currently 100% for his career in Athens (185-of-185).
The Georgia Bulldogs (7-1, 4-1 SEC) are scheduled to host the Missouri Tigers this Saturday at Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga. The game will be televised by ESPN at 7:00pm ET.